The Truth, and nothing but.

My photo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm a librarian and therefore many things. Today I'm a thinker, tomorow a reader. Yesterday I was a dreamer, and next week I'll be a seer. This morning I was a joker, tonight I might be a healer. No matter the time or day, I'm always a librarian.

Friday, October 10, 2008

7 1/2 Habits

A stark reality set in when I finally graduated last winter with my master's degree. From graduation day forward, I was responsible for my own learning. There were no more professors to serve me prepackaged, preservative-laced fundamental gold nuggets of knowledge. No more opportunities to flesh out my ideas in a 20-page research paper. Gone with the required reading; gone with the late night study session; gone with the degree plan with its strictures and limitations. I finally had a choice, a realistic opportunity to say "I want to learn about (insert interesting topic here) ." While I love the fact that there is a surplus of information-ready brain space, sometimes I get overzealous and try to cram an entire lifetime of learning into one session. I want to devour an entire book and expect to retain all of it, but don't really know what I'm going to do with the information once I have it. That's where my problems start. Without an end goal in mind, I often lose the information just from lack of use. In order to retain knowledge, you must put it into practice and recall it on a consistent basis. (Okay, so maybe I did hold on to some of my Theories of Learning and Cognition class from 1999.) I'll read, and watch, and learn, but in the end am I not really just full of useless information until I can put what I know into practice?

2 comments:

Ruthless Librarian said...

Well said, lady... Well said... ;o)

Little Red-Haired Girl said...

I'm with you on the whole, brain cram, now what do I do with this issue. In some ways that is what I like about being librarian actually - I can feel justified in turning my brain into a collection of random and often pointless information. After all, someone might ask a reference question about it...someday.