The Truth, and nothing but.

My photo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm a librarian and therefore many things. Today I'm a thinker, tomorow a reader. Yesterday I was a dreamer, and next week I'll be a seer. This morning I was a joker, tonight I might be a healer. No matter the time or day, I'm always a librarian.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Downloadable Media

I have used Net Library a couple of times to view ebooks, but haven't attempted to download any audiobooks until today. Apparently I don't have the latest version of Windows Media Player, because I was unable to obtain the license to listen to the book. That was frustrating, but not unsolvable. I should probably just download the Net Library Media Center to circumvent the problem.

Overdrive looks appealing, but I will have to find time at home to download the Overdrive Media center and play with it a bit. I have an Ipod, so I will test out the transfer to a portable device when I get home. From just playing around with Overdrive, I can say that I like the interface a bit more than Net Library. While Net library seems easier to use, Overdrive appeals to me more and the added effort to use the system seems worth it to me. From just playing around with Overdrive, I can say that I like the interface a bit more than Net Library. While Net library seems easier to use, Overdrive appeals to me more and the added effort to use the system seems worth it to me.

I compared these two tools based on features that are most important to me:
When users first enter the Overdrive site, help is apparent. The user does not have to search for a guide, it is linked right on the front page. NetLibrary users have to dig for a start-up guide.
NetLibrary does not require any special downloads in order to listen to audio books, while Overdrive does require the user to download the Media Center. (not a huge problem for me, but that limits use on public library computers)
Overdrive offers IPod downloads, while Netlibrary does not.

Overall, I think Overdrive is going to be a better bet for me, but I'm sure I will use them both equally.

No comments: