The Truth, and nothing but.

My photo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm a librarian and therefore many things. Today I'm a thinker, tomorow a reader. Yesterday I was a dreamer, and next week I'll be a seer. This morning I was a joker, tonight I might be a healer. No matter the time or day, I'm always a librarian.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Library 2.0 perspective

As a relatively new librarian, I was initiated into library culture with Library 2.0 firmly planted in my head. From the first day of my Library Science program, I was aware of Library 2.0. Of course, I knew it only in abstract terms at the time. My final farewell from many of my professors included a push to incorporate Library 2.0 in my new career. What is Library 2.0? It wasn't until I stepped into my role as a librarian that I was able to truly understand the importance of this concept. In my mind, I consider it to be a movement towards keeping users at the forefront of any initiative towards change in the library, by specifically utilizing new technologies to reach out to our community of patrons. Being aware of the user's needs and possible contributions to our work is the first step in developing a functional Library 2.0 environment. With the ever changing web, we are presented with numerous tools and applications that at first inception were not meant for specific use in libraries. Through ingenuity, these applications have found purpose in our everyday interactions with patrons. That being said, these tools are not necessarily evident to the public. Many of these tools are to our professional benefit to make us better, stronger, smarter librarians. Sure, we could survive without these tools, but libraries would surely be left in the dust if we did not evolve to fit this new culture of technology.
Library 2.0 is slated as service for the next-generation, and I see the weight of this statement with every interaction I have with my teens. They are plugged in and ready to go. Will the library be ready for them when they become out adult patrons? With the steps I have already witnessed in SAPL, I know we will be ready.

No comments: