The Truth, and nothing but.

My photo
San Antonio, Texas, United States
I'm a librarian and therefore many things. Today I'm a thinker, tomorow a reader. Yesterday I was a dreamer, and next week I'll be a seer. This morning I was a joker, tonight I might be a healer. No matter the time or day, I'm always a librarian.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Google Docs Rock!

I am dancing in my seat right now, because I was able to put Google Docs to use for the first time today.
First, a little background. Our public computers have recently been transitioned to use flashdrives instead of floppy disks. Many of our patrons only have access to disks, and some cannot afford the price of a flash drive. As you can imagine, that can be frustrating for our patrons who are creating documents such as resumes or reshearch papers.
Today I came across a young lady who was working on a final research paper. She only had a floppy disk to save her work on, and no money to print. At first, the situation looked bleak, but then the light bulb flashed on above my head. An idea! Yes! Google Docs! After I did an internal happy dance, I sat with the young woman and proceeded to set up a Google account for her, and gave her a quick tutorial on how Google Docs works. Now, this lady appeared to be relativelly unfamiliar with technology of any sort, so I was a bit apprehensive of throwing this application in her lap. Fortunatly, Google Docs is so easy to use that it only took about 2 1/2 minutes to show her how to use it to create documents and save them. She did not ask for any further assistance, so I assume she was able to navigate the system the rest of the way. I know that I am going to be using Google Docs on a regular basis from this point forward.


I'm so happy I could kiss my computer!


Photobucket

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay! 23 Things' first impact on Customer Service! :)